Returning - Chapter 156
Chapter 156: Honey and Arsenic
When Ji Sui got home from work, the moment he opened his apartment door, he was hit with the rich aroma of cooking.
He froze for two seconds, then his face lit up with joy. He strode toward the kitchen and, sure enough, saw a figure inside wearing an apron, busy at work.
Just half an hour ago, she had messaged him saying she had to work overtime and couldn't come over. Yet here she was, having already prepared a lavish meal for him.
Hearing his footsteps, Zhao Yu turned around and flashed a smug grin. "Surprise?"
Ji Sui stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Surprise indeed."
Zhao Yu pouted, putting on a mock-wronged expression. "Someone hasn't been giving me a good face for the past couple of days. If I didn't do something to make up for it, I was afraid they might break up with me."
Ji Sui laughed, pinching her cheek. "What silly talk is that? How could I ever bear to break up with you?"
Zhao Yu knew the part about not being able to bear breaking up was true, but it was also a fact that his mood had remained persistently low these past few days.
The result of that night's probing had already disappointed him. Then, for the next two days, because the marks Xu Chengyan had left on her body were too prominent, she had deliberately used overtime as an excuse to avoid Ji Sui. Anyone in his position would feel uncomfortable.
Zhao Yu stood on her tiptoes and kissed his lips. "Go rest in the living room. I'll be done soon."
Ji Sui took the opportunity to cradle her face, his tongue tangling deeply with hers for a long while before he reluctantly let go. He reached for another apron, ready to put it on. "Let me help."
"No need." Zhao Yu snatched the apron away and pushed him toward the door. "There's another surprise on the table. Take a close look at it."
Curious, Ji Sui walked over to the living room. Aside from a single sheet of A4 paper, there was nothing on the table. Looking closely, he couldn't help but be stunned.
When he walked back into the kitchen, watching the figure still busy at work, he suddenly stepped forward. He wrapped his arms tightly around her from behind, nibbling softly at the skin on her neck. "What made you suddenly decide to resign?"
"You thought about resigning for me before too, didn't you? I'm just doing something you were also willing to do." Watching his deeply moved and affectionate expression, Zhao Yu chuckled softly. "Actually, it's not entirely because of you. Xue Zi'ang already knows we're dating, and Director Xue will surely find out soon too. Even if they're generous enough not to fire me, it would be hard for me to stay at the company. So, I decided to just resign—one and done, problem solved."
She said it casually, but Ji Sui tightened his embrace upon hearing it. "Thank you."
"I told you, it's not because of you. Stop being so full of yourself." Zhao Yu didn't hold back, slapping his hand lightly, only to then grip it firmly. "The company policy requires a month's notice for resignation. Even though Director Xue has no objection to me leaving, I still have to stay at Huacan another month before I can go."
"Also, regarding meeting your family, and… our future, give me some time to think about it, okay? After I leave Huacan, I'll be busy looking for a new job. I want to wait until the new job is settled, then meet your family with a brand-new identity. Is that alright?"
"I understand." Ji Sui turned her around and kissed her lips again. "It's my fault. I was too impatient and put too much pressure on you."
"Then how are you going to thank me?" Zhao Yu looked at him with a pitiful expression. "I've lost my job now, and you have the Zhuang family backing you, with so many shares. The gap between us is even bigger. If you decided to kick me to the curb one day, I wouldn't even have a leg to stand on."
"I'll take care of you." Ji Sui gently stroked her face. "If you don't believe me, I can transfer all my shares to you right now."
Zhao Yu tilted her head up and turned her face away. "I really don't believe that."
Ji Sui's smile deepened. He pressed his forehead against hers and nuzzled her. "Alright, let's go through the procedures right now then."
"Not now. When I need them someday, you can transfer them to me then."
She wasn't a shareholder of Lanxi. If he gifted his equity to her without compensation, it would require the consent of the other shareholders. Now wasn't the time to expose her identity.
Zhao Yu leaned her forehead against his, feeling his breath up close, her tone gradually turning serious. "If that day really comes, are you sure you'd be willing to transfer them to me?"
"Of course. Everything that's mine is all yours."
"Fine. I'm remembering every word you said today. Don't you regret it when the time comes."
"I'll never regret it."
Soft kisses trailed from cheek to the corner of the mouth. Ji Sui captured her lips, sucking gently before prying open her teeth and plunging in, tangling with her tongue in a fiery, passionate kiss.
By the time he lifted her up, supporting her by her bottom, Zhao Yu was already gasping for breath. "Let's eat dinner first."
"I'm not hungry. Are you?"
"Not hungry."
"Then I'll eat you first."
"I haven't showered yet."
"Let's shower together."
They fooled around in the bathroom for quite a while, then tangled in bed for a long time. By the time they were both thoroughly satisfied, the food on the table had long gone cold.
Ji Sui went to the kitchen to reheat the food while Zhao Yu lazily lay in bed scrolling through her phone. Suddenly, a news headline leaped into view:
[Kuangshiji Executive in Major Car Accident; Hit-and-Run Vehicle Linked to Organized Crime]
Although she wasn't constantly tracking what Shang Lu was up to, she had always paid close attention to Kuangshiji's movements. She hadn't expected a keyword search to bring up such a piece of news. Clicking in to read the details, Zhao Yu immediately sat bolt upright in bed.
The news report stated that the executive involved in the accident was the third son of the Kuangshiji Chairman. Wasn't that Shang Lu?
Shang Lu had been in a car accident? Could it really be that coincidental?
Suppressing the unease in her heart and listening to the sounds of Ji Sui moving around in the kitchen, Zhao Yu immediately dialed a number.
The call went through on the first try, but no one answered on the other end. She searched the news several more times but couldn't find any other information. She was about to dial again when, just as her fingertip was about to touch the screen, a message from Shang Lu came through:
[Everything is fine. It's all part of the plan.]
She didn't know the specifics of his plan. All she knew was that he had said he would help her and that he had been working relentlessly, constantly accelerating his efforts to take control of the Shang family.
Thinking about it now, was this car accident also part of his plan?
To achieve his goal, he was even willing to gamble his own health and safety. This reckless, desperate style of his was truly a lot like hers.
After pondering for a long while, Zhao Yu suddenly let out a self-deprecating laugh.
Actually, it wasn't the same. Her motives were for herself, but Shang Lu's were all for her.
She was far more selfish than anyone else.
Another text message came in. Zhao Yu thought it was still Shang Lu, but upon opening it, she saw it was actually Ling Jianwei.
He said: [I need to see you. There's something I must discuss.]
Thanks for the update!!🤍
ReplyDelete