Enjoy 20% off all ongoing novels through September 5 with code SAVE20 at checkout.

Returning - Chapter 137

Chapter 137: Threat

Seeing Xue Zi'ang accompanying Zhao Yu, Ling Jianyuan was clearly surprised, but quickly resumed his gentle smile.

"It seems Miss Zhao isn't prepared to speak with me alone?"

Xue Zi'ang sat down close beside Zhao Yu. "I'm her boyfriend. It's only right that I'm with her. That old, wretched affair between her and your brother—I've known about it for a long time. President Ling, just say whatever you have to say directly."

Ling Jianyuan lowered his head with a small smile. "Then don't blame me for being blunt, President Xue. What I'm about to say may be uncomfortable for you to hear."

Xue Zi'ang smiled back. "There's no need for you to worry about that, President Ling."

Ling Jianyuan leisurely took a sip of tea before picking up his phone, scrolling through it, and pushing a photo in front of Zhao Yu. "Miss Zhao should still remember when this photo was taken."

Zhao Yu looked down. The photo showed her face in profile—clearly taken from a candid, stealthy angle—and beside her stood Zhuang Ye.

Ling Jianyuan said, "When I found these photos on my brother's phone six years ago, I knew that foolish boy had finally awakened to matters of the heart. It was a pity, though, that of all people, he had to fall for his good brother's girlfriend."

Xue Zi'ang's gaze remained fixed on the phone in front of him. In the photo, Zhao Yu and Zhuang Ye were talking about something, both of them beaming with radiant smiles. Zhuang Ye's hand was even wrapped around Zhao Yu's waist; they looked incredibly intimate.

It was indeed rather irritating and uncomfortable to see.

Discreetly curling his lip, he simply averted his gaze, deciding not to look anymore.

Ling Jianyuan continued, "Truth be told, a broken heart at that age is perfectly normal. Men need to experience a few setbacks to grow. It was good for him. But I never imagined…" He shook his head gently, his gaze towards Zhao Yu becoming increasingly meaningful. "I know my own brother best. Since he was content to merely watch over you from a distance during the several years you two were involved, he couldn't possibly have done what he did four years ago."

Though his face had maintained that amiable smile the entire time, Zhao Yu could clearly sense that his eyes had suddenly sharpened considerably.

She didn't deny it, offering an equally calm smile. "So? Does President Ling want to start settling old scores?"

Ling Jianyuan shook his head. "When I chose not to expose him back then and agreed not to make things difficult for you, that matter was put to rest. I won't dredge it up again. Even when I ran into you at the banquet President Xue brought you to and learned you were in Donghai, I never considered exposing you. Unfortunately, now…" The smile on his face slowly faded as he fixed his stare on Zhao Yu. "Do you realize what it means that he helped you clear your name in that plagiarism incident?"

Seeing her remain silent, Ling Jianyuan retrieved his phone and began swiping on the screen with deliberate ease. Slowly, he said, "I'll give you three days to disappear from Donghai entirely."

His tone was flat and indifferent, almost offhand, his gaze not even lingering on Zhao Yu, but the threat behind his words was unmistakably clear.

Xue Zi'ang was just about to speak when Ling Jianyuan's voice came again. "President Xue doesn't seem to be in a position to comment on this matter. A prestigious corporation like Huacan Group having to rely on a woman selling her charms to resolve its little problems—if word of that got out, we'd be a laughingstock among our peers."

For a moment, Xue Zi'ang found himself stung into speechless silence by the rebuke.

Zhao Yu smiled. "And what if I refuse?"

"Then I'll have no choice but to ask the Zhuang family to handle this. It's rather convenient, actually—I've long been curious about the grudge between Miss Zhao and the Zhuang family that led you so conveniently into Huacan."

"If memory serves, Miss Zhao didn't major in anything related to jewelry. Out of all the companies in the country, why Huacan, of all places? And how did you just happen to become President Xue's girlfriend?"

Zhao Yu had no doubt that he was fully capable of doing exactly what he threatened. His previous silence had only been because Ling family interests weren't at stake. Now that they were, Ling Jianwei's past pleas for leniency wouldn't hold any weight.

"Fine." Her reply was crisp. "I'll give it serious consideration."

"Then I'll await Miss Zhao's answer." Ling Jianyuan gave her a slight wave of his phone and stood up to leave the private room, but the door suddenly swung open.

Ling Jianwei burst in, breathless. Before he'd even identified the figures on the sofa, he was already rushing to speak. "Brother, clearing her name was my own decision. It has nothing to do with her."

Only then did he notice Xue Zi'ang sitting beside Zhao Yu. Upon seeing him, Xue Zi'ang's hand deliberately snaked around Zhao Yu's waist, and the look he directed at Ling Jianwei was openly guarded.

Anger crept onto Ling Jianyuan's face. "Who told you to come here? You're under house arrest and you still dared to sneak out?"

Casting a furtive glance at Zhao Yu, Ling Jianwei mumbled, "Anyway, it's not her fault."

"Don't cause trouble for her. Punish me all you want."

Looking at the two on the sofa, who by all appearances were deeply affectionate, Ling Jianyuan was almost angered into laughter. "You really are as foolish as they say."

Ling Jianwei lowered his head and said nothing.

Once Ling Jianwei had been forcibly dragged away by Ling Jianyuan, Xue Zi'ang finally leaned back against the sofa, staring at the doorway with a sardonic drawl. "So that's the man you slept with four years ago? Nothing much to look at, is he."

Zhao Yu couldn't be bothered to respond to his jealous tone. Grabbing her bag, she stood up and walked out.

Ling Jianyuan's words had indeed been intimidating. Even though she now had the Xue family and Shang Lu on her side and was no longer fighting alone, this still wasn't the right time to confront the Zhuang family directly. If things blew open now, all her efforts with Xu Chengyan would be wasted.

Seeing the worry on her face, Xue Zi'ang put his arm around her shoulder. "Don't be afraid. I'll think of something."


When Xue Zi'ang rushed back to the office, Xue Zhan was still working late.

Seeing him push the door open, Xue Zhan was visibly taken aback for a moment.

Xue Zi'ang sat down across from him, his expression blank. "Ling Jianyuan threatened Zhao Yu, forcing her to leave Donghai or he'll reveal everything to the Zhuang family. What can you do about it?"

Xue Zhan didn't answer, merely continuing to look at him.

Uncomfortable under the scrutiny, Xue Zi'ang glared at him coldly. "Don't think I've forgiven you. I still haven't settled the score with you over my dad, or over stealing my woman. She's very worried right now—she barely touched her dinner. Think of something."

Xue Zhan let out a low chuckle, his voice laced with meaning. "Why don't you think of something yourself?"

"I…" Xue Zi'ang faltered, then turned his head away after glaring for a long moment. "Fine, my brain isn't as good as yours. Happy?"

"It's not that your brain isn't as good—you're just lazy. You've been spoiled rotten." Xue Zhan tossed a stack of documents onto the table in front of him. "Read through all of this by midnight and write me a detailed report."

"You—"

Xue Zi'ang had just started to speak when Xue Zhan cut him off again. "Otherwise, how exactly do you plan to help her get revenge?"

"By relying on your ability to drink? Your ability to fight? Or by relying on the fact that you're twenty-six years old and haven't accomplished a single thing?"

Glaring at him resentfully, Xue Zi'ang snatched the documents off the table and got up to return to the adjoining office.

Comments