If you’re enjoying the novels, please consider leaving a review on NovelUpdates to help more readers discover them.

SDIWD - Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Bai Zhen had never felt so weak. Compared to the side effects of the binding heat tolerance experiment, the aftereffects this time were even more exaggerated.

When she woke up again, Hati had also recovered. Her mental barrier could be deployed smoothly, but her body was completely defenseless.

Hua Mu had been keeping watch by her side. Seeing her open her eyes, an expression of pleasant surprise appeared on her face.

"Bai Zhen!"

The Sentinel pressed her lips together, seeming to call out "Miss," but unfortunately, not a single sound came out.

Hua Mu hurriedly supported the back of Bai Zhen's neck and gave her some water. "How are you? Are you feeling any better?"

Bai Zhen slowly drank a few sips of water, a look of guilt appearing on her haggard face.

"I'm sorry…"

She was supposed to be the one protecting and taking care of the Young Lady, but now she had become her burden.

Hua Mu put down the bamboo cup in frustration. "Don't keep saying you're sorry…"

"I… Miss…" Bai Zhen's face was filled with helplessness and unease. Right now, besides apologizing, she truly didn't know how else to express her guilt to the Young Lady.

Hua Mu let out a heavy sigh.

This idiot had just gone through something so terrible, and her body was in bad shape. Perhaps she could be a little gentler.

"What I mean is, we're even now. You were always protecting me before, so this time it's my turn to take care of you… so-so we're even. It's not like I ever apologized or thanked you anyway."

Hua Mu tilted her head, explaining a whole bunch in a blustering tone.

But Bai Zhen felt even more ashamed. "Protecting you is my duty… A-and I also offended you. I truly deserve to die a thousand deaths."

So why bring that up!

Hua Mu's face instantly turned red. She couldn't even pretend it hadn't happened. Bai Zhen's case was understandable; it was only natural to overreact during binding heat—no, in fact, being able to endure it was incredibly praiseworthy!

But she hadn't!

Not only had she been perfectly lucid, but she had also nearly lost her mind with depraved thoughts.

Ah, don't make her remember those shameful thoughts from back then!

"Sh-shut up. I don't remember anything happening."

Bai Zhen's gaze dimmed, but she didn't shut up because of that. This matter was her fault, and it hadn't been resolved yet. She had to make plans first.

"Miss, thank you for not abandoning me, but please, never do this again."

Hua Mu was so angry!

"Are you telling me to watch you die, and then stay in this godforsaken place all by myself?"

Does this Sentinel have a hole in her brain?

"That's not what I meant…" Bai Zhen was a little flustered and ashamed. If possible, she didn't want to leave Hua Mu alone either. But this time, she had nearly lost control even with Hati dormant. Next time, she feared something even more irreversible would happen.

"Then what do you mean?"

Admitting that she wanted to commit a crime against the Young Lady, admitting that she couldn't uphold her oath, admitting that the endurance she took pride in could not overcome her instincts again—it was something that filled Bai Zhen with extreme unwillingness and shame.

But she couldn't hide it; she couldn't deceive Hua Mu.

"Miss, please listen to me… I-I am not a qualified Sentinel. Towards you… I am unable to resist. This time was my limit. Next time… please don't take the risk again."

What does she mean, not a qualified Sentinel? She's clearly overqualified!

The moment Hua Mu remembered how Bai Zhen had pushed her away and made her put the inhibitor back on, she seethed with anger. She had been so proactive… no, she had sacrificed herself, hadn't she?

"My aunt once said… there's nothing more important than life. Besides, you saved me. Are you asking me to stand by and watch you die? What kind of person do you take me for?"

Bai Zhen knew Hua Mu wasn't that kind of person, but it was precisely for that reason that she didn't want the Young Lady to take such a risk.

"Miss, you don't understand… I really won't be able to… like this time…" A spirit animal was equivalent to a sensory enhancer. With Hati awake, she didn't think she would be able to restrain herself.

Hua Mu looked at her awkwardly for a long while before saying, "Who says I don't understand… Am I that stupid?"

Bai Zhen was both surprised and terrified. She tried to get up, disregarding her body's weakness.

"Please, reconsider! You don't need to make such a great sacrifice for someone as insignificant as me!"

Insignificant? Why did this person always belittle herself like this?

Hua Mu poked her back down with a single finger. "What do you mean, 'for you'? This is my own decision, and you have no right to interfere. Besides, I don't see it as a sacrifice… To be precise, it's repayment. I hate being indebted to people."

The Sentinel was so agitated she broke into a violent coughing fit, tears streaming down her face. Hua Mu gave her a few more sips of water and said with an air of nonchalance, "Worrying about all this nonsense when you haven't even recovered. You'll definitely age prematurely. Hmph, I'm not talking to you anymore. I'm going to get some food."

"Miss…"

Hua Mu didn't even turn her head, leaving the shelter with great "coldness."

…What on earth did she just say!

The Young Lady covered her beet-red cheeks to cool them down, feeling a little ashamed but also a little exhilarated.

This is my own decision, and you have no right to interfere.

Good heavens, did she really say something so domineering? But isn't that a line for an overbearing Sentinel in a novel? How did it become her line?

Whatever, it was pretty thrilling!

Hua Mu felt an inexplicable flutter of excitement in her heart and couldn't calm down for some reason. I-it wasn't a confession or anything. She was just trying to save Bai Zhen's life. After all, she had already spent so much effort, how could she just stand by and watch her die?

Right, everyone has a responsibility to care for small animals!

Bai Zhen's heart was in turmoil. She felt that Hua Mu didn't understand the decision she had made at all, nor did she know what the consequences would be.

A royal heir and a mere guard with the rank of major, coupling in the wild without any ceremony, would undoubtedly become a royal scandal and the greatest stain on the Young Lady's reputation.

But that wasn't her main concern. In Bai Zhen's heart, Hua Mu deserved to be treated with more care, to be bonded with a more suitable partner, to have a dreamlike wedding, to exchange vows of eternal love, and to become the happiest person in the world.

Not to throw away her entire life on a remote, crude, deserted island just to save an insignificant Sentinel like her.

The physical union between a Sentinel and a Guide was irreversible. Although the so-called matchmaking in the Tower seemed casual, both parties were actually extremely cautious before taking that final step.

The Young Lady must have made such a rash decision because she didn't understand. As her guard, she had to advise and persuade her.

Hua Mu's mind wandered through all sorts of things as a pot of seafood bread paste finished cooking. When she returned to the bamboo shelter, she saw that Bai Zhen had managed to sit up, her expression serious as she pondered something.

"Are you hungry?" Hua Mu took off her shoes and walked barefoot onto the bamboo bed, saying with rare consideration, "I can feed you, if you want."

Bai Zhen's lips were pale. She slowly shook her head.

"I can do it myself… Miss, I think you should—" Hua Mu had no desire to listen to a stuffy lecture. She scooped up a spoonful of the bread paste and stuffed it into her mouth.

"No more nonsense. Eat more so you can recover faster."

The freshly made seafood bread paste was a little hot, but its savory flavor, tinged with the sweet fragrance of fruit, was delicious enough.

Only then did Bai Zhen truly feel her hunger. "Miss, let me do it myself…"

Hua Mu dodged her hand. "Forget it. In your condition, don't go spilling the paste I worked so hard to make."

"But I can't let you serve me…"

"What do you mean 'serve'? That sounds so awful. This is called helping! You helped me when I was in trouble, and now it's my turn to help you. Isn't that perfectly normal?"

Bai Zhen hadn't expected her to say something like that and stared at her in surprise.

Hua Mu felt a little uncomfortable under her gaze and could only scoop another spoonful of paste into her mouth. "What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a beautiful girl before?"

No, I see one every day.

Bai Zhen didn't dare say what she was thinking. Blushing, she ate every last bite of the pinkish paste Hua Mu fed her. She felt she could die without any regrets now.

After feeding her lunch, Hua Mu saw that the color had returned to Bai Zhen's face slightly, and the heart that had been hanging in suspense for days finally settled.

"How is your body now? Are you uncomfortable anywhere?"

Bai Zhen shook her head. "I'm fine. It's just that I probably won't be able to move freely for a few days."

"That's good. You almost died, so just being physically weak is something to be thankful for… What are your plans now?"

Bai Zhen was a little lost.

Before, she had been prepared to die a noble death, but the current situation was rather awkward. The Young Lady had spent so much effort to pull her back from the brink of death, and even… How could she possibly say something like "don't bother with me anymore"?

"I just think you shouldn't… shouldn't use your Guide abilities again…"

"Alright, it seems you don't have any plans, so I'll tell you mine." Hua Mu looked quite spirited. "First, you came out here with me, so I have a duty to bring you back safely. Therefore, no matter what it takes, I won't just stand by and watch you die."

When she said "no matter what it takes," she paused slightly, and her face couldn't help but feel a little hot.

"Ahem, s-second, you have to teach me how to control Luna—that stupid unicorn that was licking you. She's really disobedient, it took me so much effort!"

Although Bai Zhen wasn't a Guide, as a top graduate, she had experience giving lectures. Her knowledge of Guide-related matters was definitely more extensive than Hua Mu's.

"But…" Not only was the Young Lady going to soothe her, but she was even asking her to teach her how to control her spirit animal. This was simply too dangerous.

"Miss, please reconsider."

Displeasure was written all over Hua Mu's face.

"Are you determined to oppose me on everything?"

Seeing that she wasn't taking it seriously at all, Bai Zhen grew anxious. The Young Lady must be too pure, so she didn't understand what would actually happen between them. Although it was improper to bring up such a topic in front of the Young Lady, at this point, she had to make it clear to her.

"But the binding heat… do you understand? If we really do this, what will happen between us is…" The Sentinel's face turned beet red as she stammered and stuttered, "Uh, i-it's… s-sexual… in-inter… um, um… do you understand?"

Hua Mu blushed along with her, but she couldn't help but complain inwardly: This Sentinel is way too innocent! She probably knows less than I do. What am I going to do in the future?

Comments