MORIC - Chapter 14

Chapter 14: She's a Better Suitor Than Me

Xi Zhoumeng's light-brain wasn't set to private view. Chi Yueshan watched, wide-eyed, as she ordered a bag worth over a million Star Coins.

Utterly extravagant. A purebred spendthrift.

Is this what a real noble is like?

That's several years of my tuition, sob sob sob.

Xi Zhoumeng didn't look at her, her tone provocative. "We're already love rivals, why should I give you anything?"

She was already older than Chi Yueshan, with noticeable differences in height, build, and figure.

Plus, Chi Yueshan's attire was completely androgynous, showing no curves. The one-year age gap could easily look like five.

【System: Very good. Very domineering. It fits the character profile.】

【Xi Zhoumeng: Shut up, you're so noisy.】

This system was utterly useless except for electrocuting her to prevent indulgence. Xi Zhoumeng had to look up many things herself.

Xi Zhoumeng was already miserable about having to accept the fact that she was an Alpha, so her tone was inevitably worse.

What did Alpha represent? Responsibility, war, and struggle.

Of course, it didn't matter for ordinary Alphas. Someone like Xi Li, with B-level spiritual power, had no mandatory military service requirement. He could naturally rely on his ancestors' merits and openly coast.

But Xi Zhoumeng's spiritual power was S+.

Even though many people envied such high spiritual power, which could be converted into numerous rewards, Xi Zhoumeng would rather be a Beta.

Even if Betas had the lowest status among the six great noble families of the galaxy, a noble Beta still lived better than a common one.

Alpha was a symbol of strength, and whether in the Upper World or the Lower World, they were subject to many restrictions.

The stronger an Alpha's spiritual power, the greater their talent for piloting mecha. And that mecha business didn't just rely on spiritual power, but also physical fitness. Xi Zhoumeng certainly knew what a life of expeditions entailed.

She was an unambitious person to begin with, unlike someone like Wen Xinghuo who had to fight for her own future. If it weren't for transmigrating into the book, she wouldn't even have had any aspirations for the future. After all, she was tired of being someone who had to bear responsibilities from birth.

She could barely tolerate the mediocre life of a young lady these past few years. Tipping pretty streamers she liked, buying a bag, and going shopping could alleviate her loneliness.

But the book never said Xi Zhoumeng would become an Alpha!!

Is this foreshadowing, a damn subplot, or a logical bug from the author!

Chi Yueshan was left speechless by her retort and could only lower her head in silence.

After returning to the academy, Xi Zhoumeng followed Xi Li directly to the administration office. After getting out of the car, she said to Chi Yueshan, "The academy will issue a statement. You don't need to worry about this."

The clasp on the pretty senior's new favorite gray squirrel-fur cloak was a pink pearl, exceptionally eye-catching in the sunset.

For some reason, Chi Yueshan felt that Xi Zhoumeng seemed much sadder than she was.

Am I that unpresentable?

But it's understandable.

After all, I'm from the Lower World. It's natural for this bunch of upper-class nobles to find me disgusting.

I think I heard that they weren't even allowed to have their names listed next to special admission students before, as if they would be tainted by bad luck.

Chi Yueshan felt she had expected too much from Xi Zhoumeng.

In the end, I was just captivated by this person's looks. This woman is no different from anyone else.

Likes to joke around, and is arrogant.

Only Senior Wen, whom I like, is different.

Thinking of Wen Xinghuo, Chi Yueshan couldn't help but reveal a shy smile.

There must be a hidden reason, right? Senior definitely wouldn't forget me!!

I even told her I would come find her again.

Not long after Chi Yueshan returned to her dorm, Xuan Ping came looking for her.

Many students had gone home for the weekend, leaving the dormitory building empty. For special admission students from the Lower World, a trip home cost a lot of money, not to mention the passage between the Upper and Lower Worlds only opened once a month.

Today wasn't the day for returning home either.

Xuan Ping arrived at Chi Yueshan's dorm, looked at the flowers and plants on her desk, and asked with a smile, "How's it going?"

Chi Yueshan wasn't one to get upset easily, and she felt there was no need to be heartbroken over Xi Zhoumeng's attitude.

She had a purpose for coming to Guyun Academy, and the first was not to fail any subjects.

This damn flower arranging is too esoteric. I'd rather be studying math, physics, and chemistry.

"Stop laughing. We have to turn in the dried flower assignment next week, and I still have no idea how to coordinate the colors."

Xuan Ping sat down next to Chi Yueshan and helped her pick out a few stems. However, she wasn't good at it either, being at a level where she wouldn't fail but wouldn't get an A.

There were no fresh flowers in the Lower World at all. It was perpetually without sun, with only moss and smog-filled air.

People's hearts seemed to have been assimilated into grayness. The most lively and brilliant things, conversely, were the neon signs of underground bars and night markets.

A warm yellow like the sunset, at least it could offer a touch of fondness for imitation daylight.

"You can use mine as a reference, but the teacher said it has to fit the theme you choose, so you still have to think about it."

Xuan Ping showed Chi Yueshan the sample she had made, but still couldn't resist asking, "Did the results of your and Senior Xi's test come out?"

Chi Yueshan huffed. "I knew it. You didn't come to see me at all."

Xuan Ping touched her new hair clip. She had shoulder-length hair, and her wispy bangs were cut a bit too short, revealing her eyebrows.

"Everyone is curious."

Xuan Ping opened her light-brain in front of Chi Yueshan. The academy forum's interface was still rapidly refreshing with new posts.

With a casual glance, Chi Yueshan could see some very conspicuous titles.

《Passionate Creation! After Matching 100% With My Love Rival, I've Completely Fallen!》

《Someone Tell Me How Wen Xinghuo Is Feeling Right Now! I'm Willing to Pay a Thousand Star Coins for an Interview Transcript!》

《If It's Senior Xi in an O-O Relationship, I'm Okay With That Too, Sob Sob Sob》

...

What is all this weird stuff? Can't you consider the feelings of the other person involved—me?!!

Chi Yueshan's face was pale. "O-of course the machine was broken. Xi Zhoumeng's brother is even the head of the Compatibility Testing Department, and he said so too."

Xuan Ping let out a "wow." "As expected of a great noble family. If this were a romance novel, I'd definitely be one of those background characters with no description."

Chi Yueshan puffed out her cheeks and fiddled with the flowers she had spent a fortune on, saying indignantly, "Then Xi Zhoumeng is definitely not the protagonist!"

Xuan Ping didn't believe her. Cupping her face, she said with a smile, "Senior is so beautiful and has such a good family background. Delicate and endearing, if she's not the protagonist, who is? She must be the type who gets doted on fiercely. You know, a grand wedding broadcast throughout the galaxy, a template life-winner from birth to school to marriage to having kids..."

The corner of Chi Yueshan's mouth twitched as she watched Xuan Ping count off those tired clichés on her fingers.

"Impossible! Then who would her Alpha be?! Which unlucky fool would be so unfortunate as to tolerate a spendthrift O who spends hundreds of thousands of Star Coins on a bath!"

Thinking about the bath incident made Chi Yueshan's chest ache faintly again.

It was fine, but there was a scar. An ordinary person definitely wouldn't be able to tell what it was from.

No one would believe it if I told them, right? That it was made by someone's teeth, sob sob sob.

Xuan Ping said as if it were obvious, "Of course it would be someone like Senior Wen!"

Chi Yueshan gritted her teeth. "I forbid it!"

Xuan Ping sighed and patted Chi Yueshan's shoulder with great solemnity. "Yueshan, people like us can't be with nobles unless our compatibility rate is very high."

She said while refreshing the school forum, "After all, you and I are just background characters."

Chi Yueshan was very dissatisfied. "I refuse to be a background character!"

Her eyes looked like they were about to spit fire, yet her hands treated the dried flowers with great care. Her tone was as big as if she'd eaten celery: "Even if I can't be the protagonist, I'll be the stumbling block between the protagonists."

"Saying it like that makes me sound like a villainess, oh well, forget it..."

She tried again: "If I can't be Senior Wen's legal Omega, I'll be her first choice!"

After speaking, Chi Yueshan broke into a grin like a silly dog. "Life is about burning yourself up spectacularly for your obsessions!"

But after a while, the person beside her didn't react. Chi Yueshan turned her head and found Xuan Ping staring blankly at her light-brain.

Chi Yueshan leaned over to look. On the light-brain, the academy motto window, which usually floated over the forum and could never be closed, had changed.

It was a paragraph with eye-catching colors and a simple, blunt title—

【Important Notice:

Due to a testing instrument malfunction resulting in an erroneous match,

which caused first-year Omega student Chi Yueshan and second-year Omega student Xi Zhoumeng to match at one hundred percent,

I, Xi Zhoumeng, hereby announce,

my future marriage partner will definitely be the hero of the entire galaxy.】

It was at a level where anyone who clicked into the forum would see it.

The forum instantly exploded.

-Fuck!!! What is this! Isn't this the greatest expectation for Wen Xinghuo?!

-Who else is dying from the romance! I just found out the school motto banner can be changed! Is this damn thing for rent as ad space???

-My dream Omega likes my dream Alpha, they're such a good match, I respect it and wish them well!

-Wen Xinghuo is so lucky! The hero of the entire galaxy, this is the highest blessing, isn't it? Sob sob sob!!

Xuan Ping was moved to tears.

Chi Yueshan's hand was accidentally pricked by a rose thorn. Looking at the bead of blood that welled up, she thought sourly—

Damn it, she's so good at pursuing someone. I've lost this round.

Comments