Monster - Chapter 153

Chapter 153: Center City - Battle of Love-Struck Minds

The sudden, violent reaction of the Red Scorpion was a clear indication. In fact, when Lin Sandie had the Red Scorpion implanted, she had a premonition that she would have close contact with Tree. Although she didn't know in what way, since Tree couldn't locate her, it was highly probable that Tree would use the Scorpion to create a fictional space, accessible only to the two of them, for a showdown between Pie's former successor and current successor.

Sure enough, Lin Sandie, half-asleep and half-awake, entered a vast, open world. Everything around her was dark green. She saw a woman sitting on a high stool, her head bowed. She wore a long, ethereal blue dress, like an ink painting. At her feet lay an unfurled map with three-dimensional buildings, miniature figures, and various geographical environments. Lin Sandie only glanced at it, immediately recognizing the Salai Building, which stood out significantly from the other structures in the center of the map—the iconic landmark of Center City.

Lin Sandie looked around again. She was surrounded by a thin layer of black mist, creating a boundary of isolation around her. After Pie's devilish training, she had long developed the habit of prioritizing self-protection when suddenly appearing in unfamiliar environments.

She knew the person in the female form before her was most likely Tree, but Lin Sandie vaguely sensed a strangely familiar feeling from Them. After a moment of thought, she realized it was Pie's aura.

However, this person who had suddenly summoned her was definitely not Pie.

Walking slowly towards the giant unfurled map, Lin Sandie looked at Tree, waiting for Them to speak.

Tree slowly raised Their head, revealing a face devoid of features, and spoke in a voice identical to Pie's soft and emotionless tone, "Have you seen Their true form?"

Lin Sandie shook her head, knowing Tree was asking if she had seen Pie's true appearance.

"Neither have I, even though I served as Their priest for nearly a thousand years." Tree's voice revealed a hint of disappointment, making Them seem even more detached from the Pie They were impersonating.

"How long have you been away from Them?"

"Over 3000 years, I suppose," Tree said slowly, crossing Their legs and interlocking Their fingers on Their knees. "Leviathan began to form even before I left the Main World, probably related to my consciousness."

Lin Sandie's lips curved slightly, bringing up something Lou had recently told her. "Lou once met someone in the Nine Netherworlds who had been waiting for Pie."

Hearing this, Tree's interlocked knuckles cracked. An indescribable anger and hatred spread from Them, casting a shadow over the giant map before them.

"So, this is a story of unrequited love, then." Lin Sandie lowered her head slightly, black mist spreading from her fingertips. A black stool appeared beside her, and she sat on it, facing Tree.

After a long silence, the hatred in the air seemed to slowly dissipate. Tree finally spoke again, "To fall completely in love with someone, to humble oneself to the dust and do anything for Them, to change oneself, to transform oneself, yet not receive a single glance in return... One could say it was one's own choice, merely falling in love with someone who doesn't love you. But those contrived flatteries, those aggrieved considerations... truly devoid of dignity, like a clown performing for amusement..."

"By the very end, you'll find that all you want is to make Them suffer. Only that becomes real."

Tree's sudden confession made Lin Sandie momentarily recall her days with Lou in the Disorder Land.

"You sound like a mortal."

"Yes, and They are not. My calculations are inferior to Theirs. I never expected Their chosen successor to be you, using another you from a different world as a disguise, creating a temporal bond between you, and then secretly training you to prevent me from discovering and destroying you prematurely... What makes you special?"

"I don't know either."

"Hmm... Why would They choose a resident of Leviathan to be Their successor? Is it because of me?" Tree ignored Lin Sandie's answer and continued speaking to Themselves.

Lin Sandie didn't mind, using the opportunity to observe the map at her feet.

"I can't just kill you now. If you die, I won't find anyone else capable of suppressing the madness within me... Did you come up with the idea of implanting the Red Scorpion yourself, or did They teach you?"

"They taught me." This was actually Lin Sandie's own idea; Pie hadn't taught her this potentially fatal method. However, she decided to test Tree.

Lin Sandie was now quite certain that Tree's attribute was that of a Sentinel, not a more calculating Guide. This made her think of Lou, who had persistently searched for her for years. Tree was a perfect negative example.

"I knew it. They still care about me very much."

Lin Sandie remained unmoved. If Tree's goal was to make Pie suffer, it would most likely involve killing her. But now that she was "coexisting" with Them through the Red Scorpion, Tree couldn't kill her immediately. The only thing They could do was to kill Lou to torment her. However, They no longer had any pawns to use against Lou. Their only big move had been to make Lou mistakenly believe Zhao Anfu was Little Rabbit, leading to Zhao Anfu's death at Lou's hands, hoping to make Lou collapse. But Lou had endured.

Next, if They wanted to deal with Lou, They would have to do it Themselves.

This was not difficult for Lin Sandie to understand; Tree was not a difficult enemy to comprehend.

It was just that Their madness, much like Lou's madness in the past, would utterly astound Lin Sandie.

"Do you know why I wanted to see you this time?"

"To torment me?"

Tree chuckled twice. "You're annoyingly clever. Ah, no, not annoying at all. They are also very clever. I always revere Their wisdom. Do you want to guess how I'm going to torment you?"

"I don't want to guess that." Lin Sandie felt a stir in her heart. Looking at the giant map spread before her, connecting Tree's unique abilities and the timing They chose to summon her, she had a vague sense of foreboding.

"Your Sentinel is quite interesting. I'm going to meet her personally. But, through our connection, can't you be a spectator?" Tree said something that sent chills down Lin Sandie's spine.

"To let you experience the thrill of your beloved being beaten to death by you, or the feeling of being beaten to death by your beloved. Just thinking about it is exciting."


Lou sat in Cheng Gui's car, heading towards the Rose Society's stronghold in Center City. Lou checked the firearms they had just robbed from a gang of thugs while chatting with Cheng Gui.

"Cheng Gui, given how long you've existed, you must have seen many cases related to emotions and relationships, right?"

Cheng Gui shrugged, noncommittal, clearly resigned to Lou's questions.

"When Lin Sandie looks at me, is there love in her eyes? Or is it just that kind of pure, parental affection for a child?"

Cheng Gui, for once, rolled her eyes.

"Can't you tell yourself?"

"I'm not entirely sure... I lack confidence. I did a lot of terrible things before, so maybe she doesn't like me that way anymore."

"Don't you know in your heart whether she likes you or not?"

"Pfft!" Lou burst out laughing, looking completely smitten. Of course, she knew; she just wanted to hear other people's opinions.

"Aren't you annoying? If you want to be so sure, just sleep with Lin Sandie."

"...I wouldn't dare. And her body is too weak right now. What if I break her?"

"Please stop talking about Lin Sandie."

"You don't know how happy I am, and how afraid I am of losing her. So now, whenever I can't see her, she's all I can think about." Lou sighed. "But the task isn't finished. She definitely wouldn't like it if I did nothing and just slacked off by her side. But, my life's goal is completely fulfilled, and I actually feel a bit lost about what to do." Lou ignored Cheng Gui's indifferent attitude and continued with the topic she wanted to discuss.

Cheng Gui said nothing, slowly slowing down the car, waiting for the traffic light.

"Oh~ Speaking of which, my ideal used to be to travel the world with Little Rabbit. Now that Lin Sandie is my bound Guide, can I finally achieve my ideal?"

"Hmm, speaking of which, we haven't officially bound yet. There's still an important step to take." Lou couldn't help but smile again.

Cheng Gui began to try to logically analyze Lou's behavior and words, her ears automatically screening out Lou's chatter.

Driving, the two quickly arrived at the Rose Society's headquarters in Center City. After discussion, Cheng Gui decided to start with the Rose Society. After all, they were backed by the Upper House and had intricate ties to Councilor Zhao. They were also Tree's main combat force for controlling Leviathan. If the Rose Society was destroyed, many things would become much easier.

Having been there before, Lou walked confidently from the main entrance to the front desk, where she saw Kang Yi, dressed in a wine-red cheongsam and high heels, standing beside the front desk. Her figure was tall and straight, the desk only reaching her waist, giving the impression of a single warrior holding off a thousand men.

"Have you abandoned Lin Sandie of our society?" Kang Yi smiled, her pearly white teeth under her red lips seeming to glow eerily in the dim light.

"Kang Youyou, over 100 murders, death penalty!" Before Lou could speak, Cheng Gui, who always carried her black notebook, flipped it open. The next second, a continuous burst of gunfire erupted in front of her. However, the invisible bullets, which ordinary people couldn't see, were caught by countless fine lines surging from Kang Yi's body and immediately dissolved into the air.

"I knew it wouldn't be that smooth. I've recovered so many abilities, Tree wouldn't not get involved personally." Lou mumbled. She grabbed Cheng Gui by the collar, pulling her away from the lines that were flying towards her like sharp spikes, and pushed her behind her.

"You go somewhere else or inside to judge others. I'll deal with this one."

Cheng Gui didn't answer or look back, already running elsewhere. Although the body she was currently using was a corpse, its functions were still decent, and finding a suitable body also depended on luck, so she didn't intend to abandon it.

"Bang!"

"Bang!"

In less than a second, Kang Yi and Lou simultaneously drew their guns, their bullets colliding. And the lines, visible only to Sentinels and Guides qualified to enter the Main World, began to intertwine and attack each other.

Comments